Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Another Film Review of Jose Rizal

It was Jose Rizal's birthday last 19th. Better late than never, as our own way of dealing this historical day, we watched the film entitled "Jose Rizal" today. Actually it was my second time; the first being part of the requirements in one of my college subjects years ago.

Just a few cents pointing out twists in this second film review.


In my college review, I really didn't like the way that the inorganic plot was employed in the film, most especially the reverts to novel metaphors. As I have reasoned out, it made the film vague and that the novel metaphors should be a separate plot to deal.

But now I really appreciate having Jose Rizal's novel protagonist Simon Ibarra in El Filibusterismo occasionally appear, because it was one good justification how deep was the patriotism of Jose Rizal, stemming from his personal inspiration to rise against the Spanish colonialism.

Another is that, having learned the sequence of Rizal's life and works back in college, I pride myself on being compulsive when it comes to the idea of life of Rizal. We had "Jose Rizal: Life, Works, and Writings of a Genius, Writer, Scientist, and National Hero" by Gregorio F. Zaide as the class bible in studying the subject and I was used to glean the bare bones of our national hero from it.

However, going beyond the reference material, I appreciate how the film depicted Rizal's cause even more clear through additional scenes - like the one with a native janitor who could be best classified as a literary "round character" who challenges Rizal's principles but ultimately brings the best of Rizal's thoughts on that purpose.

Furthermore, years back, I thought that the script of the film, especially that of lines of Rizal, were just all too bland. I enjoyed the Spanish pronunciations and accents but I really just forgot his words in the film before, not even leaving something intense psychological impact in myself.

Yet, this time, I like the how each line that Rizal threw was full of intense lessons and added a sense of humanity to myself while watching it. It seemed that every sentence he said encapsulated something meaningful that would make one get affected deep within, evaluating political and moral principles.

As a whole, the film is no plain old story. I have always proclaimed myself as a movie civilian, someone who has under appreciation of movies; but rather than an effect of viewing the film twice, I would love to assume that the positive twist on my second film review must have been due to my more mature "taste" nowadays. Oh, really, it must have been.

Anyways, belated happy 152nd birthday, Pepe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this article been interesting, informative or inspiring? I want to know what's going on your side. Please leave your comments. Thank you.