Thursday, December 13, 2018

Faith in Humanity Restored

What I love most about traveling is there is just so much to learn, not only about different cultures, but also about humanity.

One time I was on my way back to Singapore from an all day island hop. I was in the waiting lounge of the ferry terminal and looking confused about which gate for which shipping company. An old Singaporean woman, after probably observing my confusion, came close and asked to check my ticket. She said we would be on the same ferry and assured me. I wanted to stay with her but the seats beside her were occupied, so I sat a few chairs away. When it was time to get aboard to the ferry, passengers stood up in unison and I saw her come my way to ensure that I would go with her.

On my other trips, I have experienced such simple but wonderful acts of kindness many times either that Thai who does not speak the international language but gestured to take me picture after seeing I was alone; a Macanese who translated what I wanted to say to the vendor in the market; a Malaysian who helped me book a bus ticket during a peak day; a Chinese who was off to work but took time to accompany just to ensure that I reach my destination; a group of Japanese teens who offered free hugs in the street; an old Indonesian couple who were too kind to treat me like their grandchild; or any body who made the world a little brighter by just giving a smile.

Strange but these experiences made me feel inspired that there is still hope in humanity... that we are never too old, too poor, too stranger to be good to others.

I will definitely love more of you, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this article been interesting, informative or inspiring? I want to know what's going on your side. Please leave your comments. Thank you.