Thursday, December 23, 2021

Of Null Curriculum, Political Indecision, and Others

Just a quick self-reflection on my 2021 today. I thought nothing much has happened and to say, but I realized that many choices have been chosen by not choosing or happenings have happened by not happening. Paradox, isn't it? Lemme tell you.

When people ask me what I'm up to, I always tell them that I'm currently doing my research project. Then, I realize that it's been two years now since I've been engrossed about the null curriculum. I've tried out the procedure to determine the null curriculum with participants from different disciplines and they'd always ask me: If null curriculum is not taught and not learned, then why do we need to determine it? Alright. It can be a lengthy, philosophical lecture if I explain the answer, but let's just say that null curriculum is powerful by the virtue of its absence; ignorance is not a neutral void and it has consequences for the kind of students we produce in schools.

Political-wise, let's get it to the current issue on who should lead the Philippines next. Leni Robredo, for me, is not a strong leader. I hate to say this but she's been a victim of the hypocrisy that people see in her political stratagem. That speaks volume against her true intentions. Bongbong Marcos, I have not felt your mighty accomplishments as a politician in the last decades. So, other than your name, what else can you offer? Or, if anyone of you wants to educate me about him, you are welcome. Isko Moreno, on the other hand, is too millennial in his approach. I appreciate his performance as a mayor of Manila, but the changes he has done are superficial. The rest of presidential candidates are forgettable. Bet I might end up not voting any one.

In the love department, I've always reminded myself to play it cool; whatever comes is fine. I'd be down for anything in between deeply falling in love and never loving at all. In religion, I've claimed to be more spiritual than religious; I live as I am and that's my religion. So, why do I need to label it or explain myself? In social life, I've overcome that FOMO syndrome. I've learned to appreciate just to be happy, contented, and serene as an absent person.

One might think I'm on the verge of being so fed up having to make myself up in every aspect of life. But, hell no. I think I have rather grown more introspective. I've always considered myself as an introspective person and this time I can say I've seen farther than I would have with my younger self. I try to critically discern. Then, when it seems I do not, I make choice. After all, keeping interest in a curriculum that does not exist or being politically indifferent, fence-sitter in the love department, spiritual rather than religious, and socially absent are still choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this article been interesting, informative or inspiring? I want to know what's going on your side. Please leave your comments. Thank you.